Sign in to follow this  
Stacy P.

Teresa Bugnet rose problem

I have a Teresa Bugnet rose that is approx. 15 years old. (approx. 5' tall & 4-5 ft. wide) that is now starting to send out "babies" into the garden bed.  A few years ago, one appeared and I didn't remove it.  It blooms and has all the characteristics of the "mother" plant and has grown equal in height but is only about 2-3' wide but in encroaching into another shrub within the garden bed.  I would like to transfer this "baby" into another garden.  However, this spring, I've noticed several more babies...I'm baffled as to what is happening and why now?  The newest babies are small.  Will separating these 'babies' from the mother plant harm the mother plant?  Will babies continue to arrive?  Help....what's happening?

Thanks,

Stacy P.

I can't remember - is Bugnet a rugosa? Rugosas eventually just decide to expand their horizons. My rugosas didn't sucker for five or six years - now they're bordering on annoying. Maybe Bugnet just takes longer before the urge strikes. Did you prune it recently? I learned the hard way not to do any extreme pruning in the spring on anything with rugosa genes. They also send up a sucker if a root is exposed to sunlight, or if I sever a root with a shovel. 

As far as moving, you can generally transplant rose suckers pretty easily. In fact last spring I grabbed one of my foot tall single-stemmed rugosa suckers by the neck and yanked it unceremoniously out of the ground so I could sever the root back under the mother plant, otherwise it will just send up another one. I had the shovel in the other hand so I thought "what the heck, I'll put it under that bedroom window to stand guard" and just kinda heeled it in, and have completely ignored it since. It moved with about 8" of root from which it originated, and no dirt. That's it below, at the end of it's second summer of complete neglect.

post-611-0-41380600-1377389815_thumb.jpg

Obviously that's not the preferred method to insure survival. They seem to grow better for me once I separate it from the mother plant for some reason, by the way. Like yours, the suckers seem to stay short, with just a few stems. Hack it off and move it off on its own, and it will then grow into a clone of the parent plant size-wise.