Sign in to follow this  
Your Letters

Gnats on my indoor plants

Can anyone answer this question?

I have a lot of indoor plants. I now have some little tiny gnat-y things flying around. They have killed 2 plants. How do I get rid of them? Is there a particular spray I can use on my plants to kill the eggs in the dirt? - M -

They may be fungus gnats in which case changing the watering is the way to get rid of them. Water less often more thoroughly, don't water so often that the top inch is always wet. More detail in the lead article in Growing Concerns 756 in the GardenAtoZ Ensemble Editions library.

But they may not be gnats but aphids in which case yes, an insecticide or insecticidal soap or even soapy water spray can kill them if applied more than once, first to catch what is flying now, and again later -- number of days and number or repetitions depending on pest identity -- to kill what was in the egg the first time you sprayed and so was impervious.

It's really hard to kill things in the soil and often not even necessary. People often think things come from the soil when really they were on the plant all the time and only became noticeable as days lengthened and the pest's metabolism sped up or some other trigger was pushed that ended a dormancy.

You don't have a photo of the plant or the gnats to post, do you? I know they're hard to capture but it can make such a huge difference to know for sure which pest it is we're gunning for.

I've found that a combination of yellow sticky traps and Azamax soil drenches help keep fungus gnats in check.  But I'm convinced the problem started with the "organic" potting soil I brought.  Guess it was organic in more ways then one.

I work with grow labs in the schools and we sometimes get tiny bugs flying around them. Our solution is to use those sticky yellow tapes. They are not fun to work with, as they are extremely sticky, but they seem to keep the problem in check.