Sign in to follow this  
Your Letters

Crab grass, quack grass, whatever - make it go away!

I will admit that I am surely a lawn geek! I love my gardens full of trees, shrubs and perennials but without a lush lawn around them I just can't relax! I always compare a not so good lawn to a room full of beautiful furniture with an old shabby carpet!
Anyway, my front lawn is developing the dreaded crabgrass clumps. I tried killing them with Roundup and then reseeding but the clumps just show up somewhere else. I know that they have underground runners. I have my lawn aerated every year in the fall and follow a strict fertilizing schedule, early spring crabgrass preventer as well as pretty good watering. Do you have any suggestions of what to do to get rid of it rather than tearing the lawn out and reseeding? I ALWAYS collect the lawn clippings whenever I mow too.
I look forward to an email answer.
Thanks and I LOVE your email magazine each month!! - K. -

I'm thinking you are dealing with quack grass or goose grass or barnyard grass, as opposed to crabgrass. Crabgrass is an annual, a true lives-only-one-year plant. No runners. But quack grass, hoo boy, what a pain.

Can you tell me more about this weed grass that needs ousting? Me or someone/s, we'll tell you more of what we know. Just post the additional info here -- photos could help, if you have some of the top or the root.

Meanwhile Steven and I'll see if we can collect other articles we've written about weed grasses and put links here. (Our first foray to find the bent grass article came up empty which puzzles us as it doesn't seem like it was that long ago we wrote and illustrated it so it SHOULD be on the site already. But man, do we lose track off time so we'll probably find out it's from 5 years ago! Not that it won't be applicable, but we'll have to pull it up out of queue to post it.)

Below: Crab grass is the stuff that lies flat flat flat and can go from seedling in June to 36" wide mat by late August. Just loves the heat. That's a dime in the photo, for scale.

post-5-0-43652500-1357187022_thumb.jpg

Yeah, maybe I am using the wrong word QUACK vs CRAB. I will look at your suggestions and when spring comes and the snow is off of my lawn I will readdress this issue with some pictures. Again, I love your site! - K. -

A product called sedge sledge may be of some help follow instructions on packet for best results I believe it requires an aapplication every 2 weks for a time. Quak grass or nutsedge usually shows up in June another true sign of what you are dealing with. If the gound is soft you may be able to pull a piece by hand or trowel for further confirmation. The nutsedge/quak grass will have a small white bulb at the root area. This is what makes it so difficult to eradicate but persistence and should do it. Worked for me,except it can reappear if neighbors are not vigilant as well. Good Luck

A product called sedge sledge may be of some help follow instructions on packet for best results I believe it requires an aapplication every 2 weks for a time. Quak grass or nutsedge usually shows up in June another true sign of what you are dealing with. If the gound is soft you may be able to pull a piece by hand or trowel for further confirmation. The nutsedge/quak grass will have a small white bulb at the root area. This is what makes it so difficult to eradicate but persistence and should do it. Worked for me,except it can reappear if neighbors are not vigilant as well. Good Luck

You might be thinking of Sedgehammer, which will work on nutsedge.

This thread is a good example of the importance of positively identifying a pest before trying to control it. The reason being, some common names apply to different plants depending on where you are geographically and who you are talking to. For example, when I hear nutsedge, I think Cyperus species. When I say quackgrass, I mean Agropyron repens. Crabgrass to me is Digitaria. But others might use different terms. And "that [expletive] grassy [expletive]" applies to them all! What difference does it make? Well, those are all three different, unrelated plants. Sedgehammer is only labeled for use on nutsedge and one other sedge, and using it on anything else (like Agropyron repens or Digitaria) is not only likely to be ineffective and a complete waste of time and money, but is also a violation of federal law. 

crabgrass is the most common and bothersome. It is probably the only weed that has no virtues and that everyone hates! It is an annual grassy weed with broad blades that have a rough texture and are a lighter green than turf grasses.While it prefers full sun, crabgrass is highly adaptable and even grows where the soil is poor, dry, compacted and nutrient poor.

I am also looking something like that because I tried many times to grow grass in my small lawn but unfortunately never get a full green grass in life. But I hope this will grow.... I will try this Thanks