Sign in to follow this  
MG gal

Ants in the garden

My neighbor called me frantically concerned about lots of ants in her back yard. I took some photos and looked on line for information. I think they may be citronella ants. Is anyone else seeing masses of ants?post-9-0-50072600-1347831812.jpg

Not sure which ants they are, although when you squish citronellas, they smell exactly like you'd expect of something with that name. They're just swarming - having a big party to send off the fertile, reproductive members of the colony (the ones with wings). Not sure what triggers it, but often multiple (all?) colonies in an area do it on the same day. Once the fliers are gone, they'll go back to their normal, less noticeable ways. It's usually just a one-day event. Tomorrow they'll probably be gone.

The ants did have a citronella odor. It was quite bizarre as the ground appeared to be moving when you stared at it. You were right about the ants being gone quickly. They didn't seem to be eating anything just lots of them. Thanks.