DAK

Box Elder Infestation!!!

Hello! Any suggestions how to safely deter box elder bug infestation? I saw the beginnings about 2 weeks ago. My neighbor had it too (both of us have brick homes with aluminum siding trim - which the bugs seem to love all the warmth from those materials)...my neighbor suggested a laundry detergent/water hose spray and it worked for him. So today I went outside and there were hundreds on the NW corner of my house...and along the west side and spotty here and there on the east side. So I sprayed a laundry detergent/water hose blend ...and did it again 2 hours later because there was still some (much reduced) activity. A few hours later, there was still activity so who knows what tomorrow will bring. Any tips? THANKS.

Are they getting into your house? In that case, the best thing to do is the make sure you seal up any cracks along that wall where you think they might be getting in. Amassing on the side of your house shouldn't be a cause for alarm unless they find their way in.

Hi Carol, thanks for your reply. Yes, about 8 or less have been found inside but i contribute that to open doors when coming and going and also coming in on me and my dogs.

The amassing on the side of the house is out of control...if it was a one-two day event that is one thing but I have already put on 6 soap/water applications which have helped...tons of dead bugs after a few hours, but they keep coming back in just a few (4-12 hours) like nothing happened. There are adult, juvenille and babies...even down the driveway...they love the hot brick, aluminum siding and cement.

My concern is that they will hibernate over the winter and keep coming back.

They do little damage, are just a nuisance and maybe I'm strange but I find the orange and black critters kind of Hallioween-ish and pretty. They just bug you and are easily sucked up with a vacuum or dispatched with a foot. I agree with sealing up the cracks. Now the fall ladybugs are a different issue...they bite!

I have lot of Box Elder trees on my property. Every fall, our house was covered with these bugs. I read about using plain dish soap and water mixed in a squirt bottle. I tried it and was amazed that these bugs die almost instantly when they are sprayed. The trick is to make sure you spray the babies. They can be found in clumps on walls, trees, almost anyplace where the sun can warm them. I started to spray them about ten years ago, and found that within two years the population was almost halved. Now there are maybe a hundred every year and as long as I keep those babies from growning I will never have problems again.