Sign in to follow this  
Janet Macunovich

List your no-wilt clematis

I'm hoping for your help to make a list for gardeners making the move away from a frustrating large-flowered clematis that succumbs to wilt.

It's said and we think we've seen that the small flowered Clematis species resist wilt fungus (as opposed to the large-flowered, wilt-prone hybrids such as Nelly Moser, Henryii, etc.)

People who are making the tough decision to give up on a wilt-stricken clematis may appreciate hearing about these others. And seeing them -- so post a photo if you have a shot of your favorite wilt-resister...

We grow a number of Clematis viticella and C. texensis varieties that haven't had any wilt problems. Several of them grow in the space a wilt-struck large-flowered type occupied, so we're pretty sure the pathogen's around.

post-5-0-44250500-1339220391.jpg

What's your experience in getting around clematis wilt? Any other species you can recommend?

(We wrote about clematis wilt and wilt resistance as a What's Up Stumper)

One of my favorite plants--so much diversity in the family! A large flowered clematis that I have grown for years is Multi-Blue, with never a hint of wilt.post-133-0-89836000-1339360958.jpg

One of my favorite small flowered clematis is Betty Corning . It flowers from spring to fall with multitudes of pale lavender bell-shaped flowers. It also has a lovely citrusy scent at the end of the day. It is very reliable, and grows about 6ft for me after I shear it down in the spring.post-133-0-86718700-1339361273.jpg

Another of the best is Betty Corning--a two-toned pink with upraised flowers. Ruguchi (also spelled Rooguchi, Raguchi,etc--I think it was bred by a Japanese grower, so translated names?) is a very vigorous two-toned blue purple bell shaped bloomer. It gets cut to the ground in early spring and then proceeds to get 8-9 ft tall. It is a somewhat lax climber--I grow it inside a tuteur and it is somewhat blowsy. I think it might be better growing in with a large shrub. People always ask me what it is--they don't recognize it as a clematis. Gravety Beauty is a fantastic reddish tulip shape, and one of my musts.

After years of frustration with large flowered clematis that got wilt EVERY year (!) I just had to find a way to have this vine in my garden. These small flowered plants have never exhibited wilt, and are extremely care-free.